Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Transcript: Snapguide "How to Use an iPad to create a Written Transcript of A Video"


Snapguide Transcript



Step 1:

I recently received a comment on one of my posts in regards to my videos, and the comment was that they were interested in the video but because they were deaf they were having trouble understanding totally what my post was referencing.

So that got me to thinking. Why not do a written transcript of each one of my videos that I could post on the Internet so that individuals with hearing difficulties would be able to follow along with the script while they watch what was being posted on the video?

So I figured out that with Dragon Dictation on my iPad and another audio source such as my iPhone or a computer, I'd be able to create a written transcript of each one of my videos without very much difficulty. 

Step 2:

In order to begin the transcription of the video into written text, I first want to open the Dragon Dictation app on my iPad. Once this opens, up in the upper right-hand corner the + sign is going to offer me the opportunity to create a new document.

And, then with the tap and dictate option in the middle of the screen, I'm going to tap that and that's going to begin my dictation.

Step 3:

With Dragon Dictation on my iPad, I'm going to start recording. With my iPhone I'm going to be playing the video that I want to create the written transcription from. You will notice at the bottom I'm seeing an audio track. So, it shows that indeed I am recording. Then when I'm finished, I'm going to tap the screen. It's going to complete the recording, and I'm going to be viewing here a written transcription of what had been playing on my iPhone. At this point, tap the little icon at the bottom of the screen, a keyboard will open up, and I'm going to be able to go ahead and edit that the same way I would with any normal word processing program.

Step 4:

Now, the final step in Dragon Dictation is I need to export my text into some form that I can use later. Up in the right-hand corner, I have some options. I can e-mail, cut, copy. In this case, I want to go ahead and I'm going to copy the text that we see here on the screen. And, I'm going to paste that into Pages on my iPad so I can use it later when I want to go ahead and create my final transcription.

No comments:

Post a Comment